Having completed seven years of CCD instructions, and one final year in 8th grade, these young adults will receive this Sacrament in the Spring.
Taking on the responsibility before God to be a sponsor
Many make the request for a Sponsorship form from their church. What many do not realize is the paperwork is not simply “red tape.” Merely receiving the sacraments does not sufficiently qualify a candidate. The sponsor attests to their current, active walk with God and participation in their church by affirming all questions on the form. These are the truths/ vows the sponsors-to-be are making before God:
- I have received the Sacraments of Baptism and Confirmation in the Catholic Church.
- I am at least 16 years of age.
- I attend Mass regularly on Sundays and Holy Days.
- If married, I was married in the Catholic Church.I promise to give good example in my efforts to live a Catholic life that reflect the spirit and teaching of the Catholic Church.I am prepared to assist the parents in their Christian duty by my support, encouragement and prayer.
- I understand and accept the responsibilities I undertake as a sponsor.
The wording “vow before God” is not too serious a wording. The commitments those who sponsor a child are making are quite serious. Many have made this commitment too lightly without full understanding of our obligations to the child and our God. All of us need to ask ourselves if we are fulfilling this obligation now (if we have committed in the past) or if we can bear the burden now if we are soon to be making this commitment. The Pastor who signs and seals this document attests to the potential sponsor’s active walk with God and full participation in this church community. New registrants need to become faithful and active parishioners before asking any Pastor or priest for their signature on this document; make yourselves known to all our parish priests after Masses. They are usually out in the vestibule waiting to greet you. Then, when it comes time to participate in the sacramental life on another level, they will know your name.
Confirmation Sponsorship forms are available at the Parish Office at the St. John of God Campus.